You may never see the kids after they’ve visited the brand-new youth and teen centers
Cruise ships are getting bigger and better these days and Princess Cruises is here to play. Their newest ship, the Sun Princess, is set to debut in February 2024 and will feature the most over-the-top family activity zone ever seen on a Princess Cruise Lines ship plus reimagined kid and teen zones. Located on the top three decks of the Sun Princess, the new activity zone named “Park19” will feature simulated hang gliding, a two-story climbing structure, a splash zone, and even a hammock area for parents who need a little break from it all.
“Park19 as the name suggests is a new space created for all our guests, including activities to bring together multi-generational travel families in a location with spectacular views and fun outdoor activities for all,” said John Padgett, Princess Cruises president. “The new area was tailored based on guest feedback for more family and group activities spaces.”
Located on decks 19, 20, and 21, Park19 was envisioned for active guests and multi-generational families to explore and connect through inclusive and engaging activities, including:
- Sea Breeze – Inspired by the dream of hang gliding but in a safe environment, the Sea Breeze is the first Rollglider on a cruise ship and takes guests high above to enjoy panoramic views of the ocean and breathtaking ports of call. Using an overhead track, guests are seated and harnessed to this electric ride which reaches speeds of up to 11 mph during the 60- to 90-second experience that is also ADA accessible.
- Coastal Climb – On this engaging climbing structure guests ascend from decks 19 to 20 through a series of obstacles. Once at the top, guests can take in the gorgeous views before sliding back down to the bottom.
- The Lookout – At the top of the climbing structure, adventurers make their way to The Lookout, an open-air observation deck, to take in stunning 360º views from the highest point on the Sun Princess.
- The Net – Harnessed above deck 19, guests are challenged to trek across unstable bridges, a z-shaped balance beam, and climb cargo nets.
- Infinite Horizon – For those who love heights, leaning tilt walls cantilevered over the side of the ship allow guests to peer out from deck 19 and look down to deck nine and beyond.
- Hammock Area – Another first for Princess, relaxing hammocks allow Park19 visitors to take a break from exploring to hang out with family and friends.
- Splash Zone – A whimsical splash area with pop jets and a beautiful water sculpture offers a refreshing and relaxing area to chill.
- Recreational Court – From ping pong, shuffleboard, Xponential Fitness classes, and morning meditation, a rotation of sports and wellness options will be offered to guests in this multifunction sports court.
- Jogging Track – A refreshing open-air track allows guests to walk, jog or run at their own leisure and pace, with 6.7 times around the track equaling one mile.
Kids will also be thrilled to see all the excitement coming to the youth and teen centers on decks 6 and 7. These complimentary areas include:
- Firefly Park – This family center is a place to play together or drop kids off for a program of art projects, theme parties, and group games. Firefly Park also invites families with babies and toddlers, ages six months to three, to crawl and engage their senses with a dedicated play area. After-hours group babysitting is available from 10 pm – 1 am for $5 per hour, for ages three – 12.
- Neon Grove (tweens) and The Underground (teens) – Located on deck seven, two separate areas offer an inviting space for tweens and teens to hang out, socialize, and just have fun. Both spaces feature colorful, comfy sofas and chairs for lounging, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch gaming consoles, plus air hockey, foosball, and skeeball. Program activities for these age groups include ship scavenger hunts, movie nights, friendly competitions, and dance parties.
“These expanded offerings give younger cruisers plenty to explore and enjoy aboard Sun Princess, creating an even more family-friendly experience with something for everyone regardless of age,” Padgett added.
The 175,500-ton, 4,300-guest Sun Princess will set sail for the Mediterranean and Caribbean beginning in February 2024.
Princess Cruise Line